Friday, November 28, 2014

luby's select family feast review

This year my boss decided, for those of us who wanted, to buy us a Select Family Feast from Luby's for Thanksgiving. Way cooler than a turkey or gift card because this meant I didn't need to cook. Sweet!

The Select Family Feast serves 4-6 people and comes with the following all for $55.99:

Your choice of:
Whole Roasted Turkey Breast or Spiral Sliced Ham
and
1 qt. Cornbread Dressing
1 pt. Cranberry Sauce
1 qt. Giblet Gravy
1 dz. Dinner Rolls
And your choice of:
Luby's Famous Pecan Pie or Pumpkin Pie

We opted for the turkey breast and pumpkin pie (because I hate ham and was going to make my own pecan pie). I also added on mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese for $7.99 a quart. You schedule your pickup time when you order. Thinking back, if I could have picked up on Wednesday night, I probably would have done that instead of Thanksgiving morning. Our location didn't appear very organized and it seemed to take much longer than it should have to find my order and bring it to me.

I FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES! The turkey was packaged in a plastic oven bag so it could go straight into the oven. The sides were packaged in foil containers and also able to go into the oven to reheat. The gravy was in cardboard container and the instructions stated it could be heated in the microwave it was easier to pour out a reasonable amount and heat in a bowl. We also made a few veggies in freezer steam bags to accompany our meal. All in all, it was pretty damn easy and A LOT of food for 2.25 people.

The turkey breast: there was no browning on the turkey, so all the browning we were able to get on the skin came after we liberated the breast from the oven bag and rubbed on some butter and put under the broiler. At this point I was too hungry to care.

The sides: I'm not going to lie the dressing was pretty damn good, and you can't really mess up mac and cheese or mashed potatoes. The gravy was a tad bit salty, but as my husband said, "it's not like you drink a cup of it for dinner." Cranberry sauce...I don't eat cranberry sauce. Miles ate all his and appeared to enjoy it. When asked for comment my husband said, "it was okay." The rolls were pretty damn good, I probably could have polished them all off.

The pumpkin pie: sigh, it was just okay. The bottom crust was really soggy and it made me kind of sad. However, my pecan pie was fan-freaking-tastic. Like you had any doubts.

So there you have it. Was it the best Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had? No. Was it better than some Thanksgiving dinners I've had that were cooked from scratch? Probably. Would I order it again and actually pay money for it? Yes, chances are next year. Mama no like to cook. Although, I might also have a backup pumpkin pie.

How was your Turkey Day?


2 comments:

  1. Ours was fantastic! Kassie did the turkey and stuffing, Ken did the pies and everyone else brought something. Great family and friends! Laura Parker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! It was just the three of us. nice and quiet

      Delete