Friday, October 10, 2014

freezer breakfast tacos

These are one of my favorite breakfast items when I don't have a lot of time. They do require some prep work, but within an hour or so you can get a whole bunch ready to go for breakfast for at least one week. 

Breakfast Tacos

tortillas (20 count)
eggs (8)
breakfast sausage (1 pound)
cheese (1 cup)
tomatoes (2)
bell peppers (1)
onion (1)
taco sauce
salt and pepper

I typically start by browning the sausage in a pan so I can have time to cut up the tomato, bell pepper and onion. Once the sausage is done and draining on paper towels I start scrambling the eggs with some salt and pepper. After the veggies are cut up I cook the onion and peppers together until soft.

Now you can mix everything together. I grab the biggest bowl I have and combine the eggs, sausage, veggies and cheese and mix to combine all the ingredients. I wrap each taco in wax paper and foil. The first time I made these I only used foil...and then I spent a bunch of time picking foil out of the eggs that spilled out the sides. Fail. 

Once you have all your wax paper and foil sheets you can start to assemble. If the hubby is home I make him help. I start by adding a scoop of the egg mixture to a tortilla, a line of taco sauce and then rolling it up with the wax paper. I hand off to the hubs who wraps in foil and viola you have breakfast tacos ready to grab and heat. I wrap in a paper towel before heating and go with one minute per taco. 



cost breakdown:
tortillas (2.29)
eggs (.79)
breakfast sausage (2.89)
cheese (.99)
tomatoes (.95)
bell peppers (.50)
onion (had on hand)
taco sauce (had on hand)
salt and pepper (had on hand)


Total cost just for the amounts of each item that I used was $8.41. Which breaks down to a *whopping* 38 cents each. I was able to make twenty-two because I had two bonus tortillas. Score!

What's your favorite weekday breakfast item? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment