Tuesday, October 7, 2014

diy dining room furniture makeover: the inspiration

So let’s say you buy a house. And let’s say you have a dining room and now “need” furniture for it.


And let’s also say that you have a slight Pinterest addiction. So you come across thisthisthis, and oh yeah, this. So now you start hunting.



Chris and I checked out several “new” furniture stores and were not impressed, at all, in their selection. Everything seemed to be made cheaply and not out of solid wood. So on a whim we stopped by Trading Places The Woodlands where we met Max. I showed him a picture of the first table and he was all “I have that exact table, hold on.” I was skeptical but after some digging Max found the table and the chairs that go along with it. And there was a matching china cabinet, seemed like our lucky day. I didn’t think my husband would go for it; I figured it would be too expensive. Then Max told us the price; five hundred dollars for everything. Sold! We arranged for delivery and I went home to scheme. Here’s my new furniture. The table has legs, they just weren’t attached at the time.



And some close-ups.



At first I was really, really in love with the teal color in the first picture. Then I thought about it, and thought about it some more and somehow landed on gray and later, yellow. Maybe this happened while I was looking for new fabric for the chairs, I’m not quite sure. I hiked it up to Hancock Fabrics in Conroe and found these fabrics.





The chevron won. I love me some chevron. Also picked up a tack puller. Very helpful, a must have if you will. On to Joann’s for new foam padding and batting. FYI, that is expensive so make sure you load up on coupons. Oh and take something the size of your chair bottoms so you buy enough padding.


Last but not least, the paint. We went to Sherwin-Williams (because I had a coupon) and purchased an oil-based primer that did not require sanding, one quart of a cream color (SW 7564 Polar Bear) for the chairs and one gallon of a gray color (SW 7655 Stamped Concrete) for the hutch and table. We also bought one quart of a yellow color by Valspar that was a paint + primer at Lowes (ended up not using and going with a spray paint instead but more on that later).

COST:
Furniture:
            China cabinet $250
            Table and chairs $250
Fabric and padding:
            Chevron fabric $35 after 40% off
            Green padding $47 after 50% off
            Batting $12 after 50% off
Paint:
            Primer $23
            Gray $37
            Cream $14
            Yellow $13
Etc:
            Tack puller $2



No comments:

Post a Comment